Archive for the 'Latest News' Category

Foster shows support for waste industry safety day

Thursday, February 26th, 2015

Enterprise, Trade and Investment Minister Arlene Foster has welcomed the inaugural Safety, Health and Awareness Day (SHAD) which aims to improve safety standards in the waste industry.

Organised by the Waste Industry Safety & Health Forum for Northern Ireland (WISHNI), the event was supported by several organisations in association with the Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland (HSENI).

Speaking at the event, Arlene Foster said: “As Northern Ireland’s waste and recycling industry continues to grow, so too does the potential for accidents within the sector. Working with businesses and other stakeholders through initiatives such as the Safety, Health and Awareness Day, we can help mitigate the risks involved and ensure that worker safety remains to the fore.

“Today’s event builds on the excellent work of WISHNI in encouraging businesses in the sector to provide proper training to employees and in helping to ensure that a culture of safety first and best practice is adopted across the industry.”

Professor Alan Woodside OBE, Chair of WISHNI added: “Through practical demonstrations, waste industry managers have been able to observe firsthand the safety measures they need to put in place to ensure a safe working environment. They have also been provided with a key opportunity to engage directly with accredited training organisations.”

The Safety, Health and Awareness Day provided practical and informative demonstrations which covered key areas of concern for those working within the waste industry including:

- vehicle all-round visibility;
- conveyor safety;
- fork lift truck daily inspection;
- working safely with bin-lifting gear;
- delivering in-house training;
- working at height; and
- fire safety.

For more information on health and safety within the waste industry and the work of WISHNI please contact the HSENI helpline on: 0800 0320 121 or visit the waste section of the HSENI website www.hseni.gov.uk

Foster encourages cyclists to sign up for Gran Fondo

Tuesday, February 24th, 2015

Enterprise, Trade and Investment Minister Arlene Foster has welcomed the announcement of the Gran Fondo Strangford and Mourne routes and encouraged local cyclists to register for the event.

Commenting on the announcement the Minister said; “The Giro d’Italia, held here last year, showcased Northern Ireland as a premium cycling and tourism destination. The Gran Fondo represents a major legacy of the success of the 2014 event. Run by Giro d’Italia organisers, RCS, the Gran Fondo will be taking place here for the next three years.

“Work has been ongoing by event organisers Shadetree Sports, supported by Tourism Northern Ireland, to confirm the announced cycling routes for the first event which will be take place in June.

“Details of the two Strangford and Mourne routes are now available, both of which showcase our beautiful scenery and countryside travelling through towns and villages such as Rathfriland, Hilltown, Castlewellan and Comber. The Strangford route will also be starting from Titanic, Belfast before taking in views of the iconic Harland and Wolff cranes.

“I would encourage all cycling enthusiasts to register for the Gran Fondo event. With global interest expected and international participants travelling to Northern Ireland, there will be a positive economic impact, with riders and their families filling local hotels and restaurants. With fully closed roads across the routes, the Gran Fondo will go some way to giving participants that true Giro experience.”